Thursday, January 15, 2009

Things My Parents Say #2

It took me about 5 minutes to convince my friend Scott to buy an iPod Shuffle. I know what you're thinking. iPod Shuffles are stupid. I also thought this at one point. At many points, in fact. So just give me 5 minutes (depending on how fast you read) to establish a scenario.

1. You have a regular iPod.
2. You want to exercise to music.
A. You can spend $20-$30 for a special case for your iPod suited for exercise OR
B. You can spend $50 for a 1 gb iPod Shuffle.

In case A:
You will be running with your regular iPod. I broke one this way. You sweat on it. It attaches to your upper arm or something awkward. You have 7 million songs on it. Yes, you can make an exercise playlist to narrow it down. Do that. But you will have to swap out cases whenever you want to exercise. Do that. It will be enough of a reason not to exercise.

In case B:
The Shuffle is the size of a postage stamp. The Shuffle itself IS a clip. Clip it anywhere. Make an exercise playlist. Put it on there. Hit random or play it in order. Run away from all your problems.

I bring this up because my father asked me about my iPod Shuffle. After I explained the utility of such an object, he had this to say:

"So my students can record my lectures and listen to them while they exercise, yes?"
"Yeah, Dad. But I don't know if they want to listen to lectures while exercising."
"Some of my students probably already do this."

No comments:

Post a Comment